Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I read an article today on msn.com about piracy and hostages that are taken for ransom for months. This astonished me because I could not believe that these hostages are held until the pirates have their ransom met. The article featured a seaman that has been held captive since November 1o, 2008 because his company has been unable to meet the 5 million dollar ransom set by the Somali pirates. The article stated that are currently over 300 seaman held by Somali pirates living in deplorable conditions. I think that the piracy problem definitely needs swift action in order to free the seaman currently in hostage situations. Although the United States is dealing with it's own economic problems, I believe we should step in and help out poorer countries to help free the hostages. As we saw recently, piracy can affect rich and poor countries.

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting to me because I just recently heard about this pirate situation on CNN. I understood the concept of piracy and pirates, but this is the first time that i've realized that this actually goes on. Then there's a hostage ordeal where a man has been held as ransom since 2008?! That's crazy ans something definitely needs to be done about this.

    ReplyDelete